Beaten 1-0 in the first leg and trailing in the return, Atlético Madrid qualified for the quarter-finals of the Champions League by overthrowing Inter Milan, outgoing finalist, on penalties (2- 1 a.p. 3 tab to 2) Wednesday at the Metropolitano stadium.

However, it was Inter who started the match the best. Federico Dimarco concluded a very good collective action for the opener (33rd), but Antoine Griezmann, returning from injury, equalized in the wake of a pivotal strike (35th) before the incoming Memphis Depay does not put the two teams back on an equal footing over the two matches (87th). During the penalty shootout, Atletico goalkeeper Jan Oblak repelled attempts from Alexis Sanchez and Davy Klaassen. Lautaro Martinez missed his. The draw for the quarters is scheduled for Friday around 12:00 p.m.

Certainly Inter won the first leg at home in Giuseppe Meazza’s lair (1-0), but with just one small goal in advance everything remained possible for this return leg. The Colchoneros understood this well and put pressure on the opposing camp from the start. Samuel Lino drew first with a first strike repelled by Yann Sommer, but not the last.

Little by little, the match became more balanced, leaving more room for the Inter players to play, who felt comfortable to the point of opening the scoring in the 32nd minute. Barella moved off-center to leave room for Dimarco in the area. The midfielder served his side at the penalty spot who just had to finish. In the process, Atletico did not let themselves be defeated, and responded thanks to the superb (unintentional) pass from Benjamin Pavard for his great friend from the France team, Antoine Griezmann. This one didn’t have to be asked, he finished with his left foot to restart his team. At the break, the two teams were back to back, and the visitors still maintained their advantage from the first leg.

In the second act, the Nerazzurri tried to slow down the pace to turn the game in their favor, but Atletico had not said their last word. After 35 minutes where only an attempt from Griezmann alerted Sommer, Morata gave way to Depay, and everything changed. Barely coming into play, the Dutchman showed himself by creating several chances, each time more and more dangerous. Inter was warned, but Memphis gave them a big blow to the head. In the 87th minute, he made his way into the box and scored the equalizer in both matches, dragging the opponent into extra time hell.

Thirty minutes later, the Rojiblancos pushed, and did everything they could to bring down Inzaghi’s men before the dreaded penalty shootout. But no team was able to escape the trap. Slovenian goalkeeper Jan Oblak stood out first by repelling Alexis Sanchez’s attempt. The Swiss Yann Sommer responded and stopped Saul Niguez’s shot. Oblak then disgusted Inter with Klassen’s shot. Two penalties later, Lautaro Martinez set off and sent his ball into the stands of the Wanda Metropolitano, sealing the Interists’ hopes of qualification.

As is often the case, Atlético knew how to deal with a major European team. This Wednesday evening, it was a small feat that they managed to achieve by eliminating one of the favorites for the final victory, probable future champion of Italy.