Thirty-one supporters of Espérance de Tunis (EST) have been detained after violent incidents in the Tunisian capital during the quarter-final of the African Champions League between this Tunisian club and the Sports Youth of Kabylie (Algeria), according to judicial sources.

Saturday, violent incidents including a fire had caused the interruption for more than 30 minutes of this match at the Olympic stadium of Radès, in the southern suburbs of Tunis.

A judicial inquiry has been opened into the circumstances and responsibilities in the violence, spokesman for the Ben Arous court of first instance (near Tunis), Omar Hnaïen, told local media on Thursday.

Warrants of detention have already been issued against 31 EST supporters, the spokesman said, indicating that 27 others who are also under investigation have been released.

The supporters are being prosecuted for “criminal association with the aim of attacking property and persons and for the assault” of public officials in the exercise of their functions, local media reported Thursday.

During this match, supporters of Esperance tried to enter the lawn after the first period but the police intervened and clashes broke out, according to the private radio Mosaïque FM.

During these clashes, supporters overturned garbage cans at the foot of the stadium stands and caused a fire in an access corridor.

An AFP photographer saw scenes of looting in the stands and tear gas canisters that covered the stadium in thick smoke. Several police officers were injured by projectiles, according to this photographer.

Media images on Facebook showed a fire truck in action to put out the start of the fire.

A video showing a fan wielding a chainsaw inside the stadium was also widely shared on social media.

The match was able to resume after a thirty-minute break, in front of almost empty stands on the Espérance side.

Espérance almost immediately scored a first goal before JSK equalized, without the Algerians managing to qualify, due to their defeat in the first leg in Algiers.